Tuesday 21 July 2009

A Couple Of Fortean Thoughts

A Couple Of Fortean Thoughts
During the last month I've not been at all well but I am, finally, now starting to recover. That meant that I've not really been online very much and, apart from being glued to Wimbledon for the last couple of weeks, have had plenty of time to think about some of the Fortean subjects in which I have an interest.I've come to no conclusions about any of them, but I do have a couple of ideas that have been going around in my head. The first is this question: What if Area 51 is just a cover, and the real stuff is held elsewhere?Another subject that has fascinated me for a great many years is the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle. However, so much has already been written about it that I'm not going to add to the volume with an article of my own. I just wanted to share the following thoughts:It goes without saying that I'm not the first person to have this idea, but what if some of the ships that have vanished in the Bermuda Triangle, and Japan's Devil's Sea, were simply hit by rouge waves? It's only recently, in 1995, that such waves were finally proved to exist by science. Wiki has a good explanation of them here.I also have on my shelves a book called "The Fog: A Never Before Published Theory of the Bermuda Triangle Phenomenon" by Bruce Gernon and Rob MacGregor. The book was the subject of a TV documentary and I have now both re-read the book, and re-watched the programme, twice. If you don't know the book you can find it on Amazon here in the UK, and here in the USA.According to Amazon UK the premise of the book is a follows:"Whatever happened to Flight 19--five Navy bombers that vanished on a routine training mission--and the untold numbers of others who have disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle? What can we learn from intrepid adventurers like Christopher Columbus, Charles Lindbergh, and Bruce Gernon--the co-author of this book--who survived frightening encounters in the Triangle and lived to tell the tale? "The Fog presents pilot Bruce Gernon's groundbreaking new theory of the Bermuda Triangle, based upon his own firsthand experiences, eyewitness reports from other close-call Triangle survivors, and leading scientific research. Gernon believes that a rare natural phenomenon may be behind many of the seemingly paranormal happenings in the Triangle, causing time distortions, pilot disorientation, and equipment malfunctions. But the notorious Bermuda Triangle hasn't given up all its secrets. The Fog also explores the Triangle's connection to UFOs, a secret navy base, and a possible link to a vanished ancient civilization."I can highly recommend reading it as it will certainly make you think.Well, now back to watching the Ladies Final at Wimbledon, although I feel tomorrow's Men's Final will be more than interesting!

Popular Posts